Please beware, the so called "LIBYAN OPPOSITION GROUP" site is set up by Gaddafi agents. A link to the site was posted in the letter titled: An open letter - Abou Isshaq - 11 November, 1999.
The following are quoutes from the site -- at the end of this message is a copy of the full text on this hoax site. Notice how the writers actually praise Gaddafi in every sentence that's supposedly criticizing him. This is a familiar pattern -- or shall we say behavior -- found in Gaddafi's agents repeated attempts to falsily assume the identity of some sort of an opposition to Gaddafi. Those cowards don't dare to say his name in ill even when they're trying to deceive. You'll find this in the false issues of Al-Inqad magazine they published, and also in numerous statements and pamphlets issued under assumed names of opposition groups.
If you must check the site yourself, please make sure not to accept any cookies. Also delete your profile (name, address, etc.) from the browser's preferences.
From page 1:
Rahmatu-llahi 'ala ashuhadai kaafah
It is obvious that Colonel Gaddafi has shown slight changes in his political course, by bowing to international pressure although he is not admitting it. It is important to realize that we should continue our opposition movement and make sure it is updated to today's requirements and standards and tactics. There is no possible way back to Libya only through accepting Gaddafi ideas and this is not on the negotiating table, although some people did it (Perhaps it is due to pressure, hypocrisy or being convinced). Or to become an opposition based on discussion, advice, and consultation and to shun combat fighting and threatening.
As a mature opposition we should avoid personal criticism of Gaddafi and direct our opposition towards his sayings and work and leave his personality, as there is no need for us to do so, but our sheer need is to follow the right and support it and oppose the wrong and stand firm to change it. In this way we are going to follow the right road that none can stop us from taking and our opposition will be successful.
To devise an effective opposition the regime has to know about our main objectives and us. Many Arab rulers find a change in the system of government is essential and it is the right time to do so. Therefore, our efforts in the opposition will be rewarded and would be a pioneer in introducing changes in the Bases of Government in Libya, and perhaps our opposition evolves to become a body of opposition and inspection to the Libyan government personnel since the regime does need plenty of criticism to encourage plenty of change. As we know that Gaddafi is not a traitor to his country but he is a dictator. Therefore, we should support changing the Bases of Government that will forbid dictatorship and single mindedness of rulers in every aspect. This is because we accuse him of dictatorship and single mindedness even though he is trying to establish a puppet democratic committees which they only rubber stamp whatever he decides without anyone discussing it before he would decide. Also the government is only for his own group that would agree to his principals and not for those who will show open opposition to his opinions.
It is well known that Gaddafi is intelligent enough to understand our requirements and what we are talking about. And history will register his action with regard to our independent opposition whether for him or against him. Therefore, we agree with the achievements and the dedication and the sincerity in working for the sake of the country and the people. But we oppose many of his sayings and actions that need to be put right. He should be treated as a person regardless of his good or bad intentions. It is not right to take him as an enemy, as an advice cannot be given to an enemy. We think it is beneficial to communicate with the regime without falling into traps and try to show our people our true feelings towards whatever is happening in Libya and to share the political events with them in good and bad times to show them that we are patriotic and we care about them even though we are living in another country. We may oppose him in many aspects but this step does not mean that we compromise our opposition stance but it is a sensible move based on declaring the right and rejecting the wrong and to show the opinion of those people who still care and are loyal to Allah then the people of Libya. We would like him to understand our stance without any ambiguity. We are asking the regime use to enable us to deliver our objectives and requirements clear and loud.
With regard to him naming himself a leader; it is him who denies that he is a president or Sultan or a king or an Ameer or an Emperor, and this does not effect us in any way or form if we agree that he is the highest authority in the country. Therefore, the name of the highest authority is not as important as the changes in the Bases of Government and how these changes can be implemented. Opposition should work within the country and we request the to protect its members and must allow them to work and criticize without any fear of imprisonment or torture. We know that Gaddafi may reject such an opposition, and he may try to convince us to oppose within the so called peoples committees which we reject it outright, which we know for a fact it is a machine that follows his orders and help applying them according to his wishes.
Some of the other opposition would belittle such a move towards communicating with the regime. But it is a step towards the right path and it may bring its fruits within few years from negotiation with the regime. And we shall include in our negotiation prominent figures and international organizations which have the ability to explain our point of view since we oppose him in the Bases Of Government and not in doing good for the country. If we threaten him then this would mean that we are intending to injure him personally and he will portray us as an authority hungry and mad and this is against our natural cause and our requirement, and what we want is to change the Bases of Government in Libya and guarantee a just, purposeful, and guided opposition for our people. In this way we would have declared our rightly lawful cause in a civilized manner. Therefore, we ask our opposition members and non-members to give their opinions and suggestions along our line of defense to widen support for a peaceful solution amongst the Libyan people.
HR Back to: libyan opposition
This announcement is not for those who doubt the good intention and patriotic opinion of those who oppose the regime and trying to announce their opinion. We are all Libyans and we try to serve our country and the reason that prevented us from going back is; there is no scope for opposition and whoever oppose he will be tortured or imprisoned and his life turned into misery. And this is not the way of Allah, as we know that the Messenger Muhammed (p.u.h) took the consultation and advice of his own followerıs even when their opinion opposed his. And the Ist and 2nd Califs did hold consultation and some of the Muslims said to "Omar if we found you did wrong we will use our swords to correct you" and we say that if we find the government and the leader wrong in Libya we will correct him with advice and consultation and to show right from wrong and not by armed opposition or threatening. Because we do care about our Libyan people not to engage them into a civil war. This is to show that we are not traitors or unpatriotic. And for the Governor is the right to furnish the relevant evidence, which will explain his point of view without ambiguity that what he intends to do is good for the people of Libya. And for the opposition; the right to discuss these evidences and to support them or oppose them. However, their support should not be considered as giving in to the government, in any way, and if they oppose the government opinion then they should not be punished for that as their motto is to show the right from the wrong for the sake of the benefit of the Libyan people. It is important not to consider any opponent as a treator or spy or reactionary or etc., of those names that is not proper to call the opposition with. And what we want it to investigate and implement THE FOLLOWING:
HR Back to: libyan opposition
(As on page)
Bases Of Government
1. To stop the state of chaos (which is not entitled to be called emergency rule), which has been so for the past thirty years, and to declare the constitutional civil rule in the country, and to implement fair multi-party election and all freedoms mentioned in this miscellaneous:
2. The Constitution: To start writing up a constitution for the country that will identify its political powers and to separate between legislative, implementation and jurisdiction powers.
3. Freeing all prisoners of conscience: To free all political prisoners and to declare a general pardon for all opponents inside and outside the country, and to return properties taken by force back to their lawful owners and compensate those injured.
4. Cancellation of the revolutionary and the peoples committees as they are not constitutional and revert to the constitution to replace them.
5. Freedom of Justice: The authority has no right to interfere with the rules of justice. And the justice has the right to call the leader to court without pardon or leave if a citizen or an establishment summons the ruler to court. And the justice is requested to legislate just rules according to the Islamic Sharia to protect all the freedoms mentioned in this missellanious without infringing on each other. And the authority has no right to set up courts for political opponents but they can be summoned through the free justice that will not incline towards the authority or the accused.
6. Freedom of nomination and election: without interfering from the authority or its Mukhabrat and this cannot be achieved only if these are completely neutral.
7. Freedom of Information: including journalism, radios and TV and the authority has no right to direct or interfere with its programs and they should be directed by specialists who guarantee the freedom of speech for opposition members as well as government supporters. And the opposition has the right to voice its opinion through the media without prior condition from the authority within the freedom of the law of expression.
8. Freedom of economics, Trade and industry without monopoly.
9. Freedom of expression and to respect the other opinion, therefore there should be no one who would call another treator because he does not agree with him and whoever does so he should furnish the evidence or to face the consequences of the law dealing with this.
10. Recognition of opposition: just like other nations do, giving it the right to represent itself within the frame of freedom of expression. And to guarantee the freedom of all members of the opposition and not to plan to destroy the opponent and his/her followers or their families, and to protect them from those who do not share the same opinion. Freedom of access in and out of the country without stopping them and to protect them in every sense. Giving the elected opponents the right to comment and follow the government policy as well as the right to criticize the achievements and show its weakness or the benefits that come out of it and to expose bribes and favoritism and the administration corruption which is still in force up to now.
If the Libyan leader agrees to all that then we pledge to respect the regime and to stand as the adviser and give support to the good causes and show their advantages, and to expose the bad ones and criticize them and show their shortness and the disadvantages that will result from it within the frame of freedom of expression. And this does not mean that the opponent is a treator or unpatriotic but doing that to show the right and what benefit will lead to and to show bad and what damages it would bring, without belittling any opinion or personality.
HR Back to: libyan opposition